Monday, June 7, 2010

Weekend Recipe: Panakuchen

How about "Weekend Recipe... a few days late" ?

Ah, well, the garden took up all of my time. Literally. So I didn't even eat, much less cook! :)

So, to make up for my tardiness, I present to you TWO recipes!

The first is Panakuchen, also known as German Pancake. All I know is YUM.

And the second is Buttermilk Syrup.  Absolutely delicious and with NO corn syrup!

This is another weeknight favorite of ours.


Puffy German Pancake (Panakuchen)

8 whole eggs
1 1/3 C. flour
2 tsp. salt
1 1/3 C. milk
6 Tbsp. (or less) butter

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Butter a heavy ovenproof pan or skillet (I have neither and use 2-eight inch square pyrex dishes, which I have found works much better than a metal or glass 9x13 casserole dish)
In a bowl, slowly beat the eggs with a fork to blend.  Slowly add the flour, beating constantly; stir in the salt and milk. Pour the batter into the pan(s) and drop thin slices of butter into the batter, distributing it evenly.

Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake another 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and sift with powdered sugar.  I love this with buttermilk syrup (recipe follows).



Buttermilk Syrup

7 Tbsp. butter
3/4 C.buttermilk (I just use the dehydrated kind and mix it with water, since I would otherwise never have buttermilk on hand!)
1 C. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla or coconut extract (or get creative!)

In a big pot, cook butter, buttermilk and sugar over medium heat, stirring, until butter melts and sugar dissolves.  Bring to a boil and boil one minute.  Remove from heat and add the baking soda and flavoring.  It will bubble up; just continue to stir and give it a few minutes for the fizz to reduce before serving.  This is delicious with any hot breakfast.  I just keep it in a mason jar in my fridge.




 


1 comment:

spider veins said...

thanks for the recipe! seems to be a great dish! This recipe is really helpful to me! hope to see more good recipes here!