Saturday, May 1, 2010

Weekend Recipe: Spinach Artichoke Dip


I made this a few days ago to take to a meeting. Three letters: Mmm. Ok, I recognize that they're all the same letters, but there are indeed three of them...

I've made this dip a few times, and each time I've prepared it differently. The first was the best, and that time I followed the alternate directions I've listed below, instructing you to bake it with cheese on top. This last time I just followed the stove top directions and heated it in the microwave just before the meeting (I actually made it up the night before). Tastes great either way!

If you give it a try, let me know how you like it!


Spinach Artichoke Dip

4 Tbsp butter
1 (10 oz) package frozen, chopped spinach, partially thawed
1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (you can also use 3-4 fresh artichoke hearts)
1-2 C. onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 package cream cheese, softened
8-16 oz. sour cream
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese (I like to use a Romano, Parmesan, Asiago blend)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Stir in spinach, artichoke hearts, chopped onion and garlic. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Mix in cream cheese and sour cream. Stir in parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occassionally, until thickened (10 to 15 minutes). Serve warm.

*Alternate directions: melt butter and saute vegetables and garlic until tender. Stir in cream cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Pour into an oven safe dish and top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with more parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is bubbly and browning (about 20-30 minutes).

No comments: